long island disco clubs from the 70s

The building, in horrible shape, was mercifully torn down a few years later. Small donations are always appreciated to help keep our informational archive afloat. About an hour later I got a page (remember pagers?) Isabella Lizzul, an assistant buyer at Bloomingdale's, agreed that Chaz was plush, but said that she had been in discotheques that were even fancier. drag race, drags, dragster, funny cars, NASCAR, slicks, Mag Rims, memorabilia, to Stuff License Plates into a Flat Rate Priority Envelope, Car before he died. The Hamptons were crazy, and there were bars and clubs everywhere.. Born there in November 1964. the world hasnt been the same since. Disco was, of course, a highly divisive entertainment form blasted by detractors as superficial and shallow. A night out meant going bumpertobumper. Available for Special Events, Concerts, Weddings and. A number of hits were released that all contained a similar dance beat, and these songs became popular in a number of NYC dance clubs. 317 Main St. Farmingdale, NY 11735. Let it RIP.. a link to my list of hundreds of WWII AAF, USN, USMC Squadron Patches, John Carl D'Annibale Show More Show Less 71 of 111 People gather and dance at LI Exchange in Melville on Feb. 3, 1989. A group gathers at Laundry in East Hampton on June 24, 1989. This is what I choose to capture and hold on to. Club 747 in Henrietta (profiled in an earlier, MORE: Read the complete 'Whatever Happened To?' Celebrity DJs were often brought in to spin there Danny Krivit, Roger Sanchez, Boris, Theo, The Chainsmokers, Chus & Ceballos,Paul Oakenfold, Oscar G, Danny Tenaglia, and Nervo, to name a few and though it was mainly just a deck over the sand with a small indoor shack, on busy weekend afternoons people would be dancing on every possible space and platform all at once. I have a wonderful photo of him dressed as Elvis during the Halloween party. Tags: dance musickc and the sunshine bandpop musicsaturday night feverthe bee geesthe hustle, Dressing Down was OUT! Anything worked as long as you could dance in it.. Bedrosian, whose current ventures include hisNew York Burger Bars in Massapequa and Babylon Village, describes restaurants such as Rare 650 in Syosset and Hendricks Tavern as the new social scenes of today, still steadily drawing the 40-and-over audience with DJ parties that spin much of the music Gen X Long Islanders danced to 20 years ago. Living with the expenses [typical to life on] Long Island, working full time, having two kids and a husband who works at night a lot, well, I like to get into bed as early as possible. Discotheques are not new to the Island. $$. Occasionally the digitization process introduces transcription errors or other problems; we are continuing to work to improve these archived versions. Sources report that clubs were formed using these generic plaques and the names emblazoned on them. And there are no live bands, because the center attraction is the peoplethe way they look, the way they dance, the way they dress. The Village People perform live as the audience dance the "YMCA" at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California, circa 1970. Tim M. Cant remember every concert I saw there but I definitely saw the Brian Setzer Orchestra , The Machine ( Pink. I went back old memories, or it could be the first time you've heard of them. The club held dance contests and lingerie shows, sponsored ladies' nights and teen nights and had a plush lounge and enormous video screens before MTV exploded . Whatever Happened To Princess Red Wing? I came with left over - it hadn't been the best show for jeep stuff. with them. Call it sassy, call it energy, and call it an appreciation for the spice of life through sadness and heartache. Long Island Bars and Bands of the 70's & 80's. 1,472 likes. Truly lived it, breathed it. And I got them after he found out he was sick." A woman known as "Disco Granny" dances with a young man at Studio 54, circa 1978. shop. What about the Bronx, NY CASTLE HILL AVE & BRUCKNER BLVD location??? My through investigation had determined that it must be the real. Former Garden City Hotel vice president Brian Rosenberg recalls that on an average Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday night,crowds of more than 1,000 people (wearing jackets, to boot) would hit the nightclubs that once thrived in the Garden City Hotel. Long Island nightclubs of the past: Scenes from the 1980s-2000s By Newsday Staff March 25, 2019 Many members of Generation X (Baby Boomers, too) will remember the scene well: Flashy, even. I had packed away and locked up from between 10 - 20 years ago, Here's A man and woman take center stage on the dance floor at the disco club 2001 Odyssey in Brooklyn, New York, in 1979. document.write(m.substring(p, 0)); Miss Lizzul, who lives in Queens, said that she had driven out to the Island to see what Char had to offer. Assuredly, as while the South Fork is still a vibrant place for summer late-night fun, almost everything worth visiting is east of the Shinnecock Canal. The club also boasts karaoke and dancing every Wednesday and Thursday, and. Firebird, Trans Am, GTO, Road Runner, Super Bee, Barracuda, Le Mans, Riviera pageTracker._trackPageview(); In stark contrast to the restaurant- and sports bar-heavy Long Island circuit of today, Mirage was a 12,000 square-foot nightclub with 40-foot ceilings and an Egyptian design that was. Right: A woman dances in ecstasy at a disco in New York City, 1976. But in the last few months a new kind of discotheque has opened on the Island. The interior of Chaz is shown on page 1. disco in Huntington Station. Two lengths of rust-resistant chain & 4 chrome plated hooks can be As a high school student, My hands-down favorite candy bar as a little kid. long island disco clubs from the 70s long island disco clubs from the 70s. Anyone have info-please forward. At Chaz and the Decameron, where the sound systems are hearty and sophisticated, there are special musicfree lounges and game rooms where people can talk. Clubgoers at Sugar, "a dining den and social club" that opened May 6, 2010 in Carle Place. When I moved to NYC in 1975; it felt just right. There is astounding variety, too. Back when disco was all the rage, the 2001 Club was one of the most popular local spots to dance and party the night away. When we played that video, everyone was mesmerized. They're not jeep "I went to Chaz one night, waited on line for an . Long Island is ripe for it, he said. It's 80's night thursday through saturday. DJs Party Equipment Rentals Silent Disco West Village. Way too much satin everywhere. https://www.nytimes.com/1976/12/26/archives/long-island-weekly-a-new-look-for-the-disco-counterpoint-pub-discos.html. // End -->, Other plaque sites of merit: With the new caste system in discos, however, bar hopping is becoming more difficult. document.writeln("

"); Paint is fresh/new. - 3p.m. The dance floor is packed at Danceteria in East Quogue on June 24, 1989. document.writeln(""); know anything other than "They're from old car clubs. (7:30p.m. I found humour in most situations, was in awe of the amazing variety of people I met and in love with the energy of NYC, she reflects. "Would he have any more Jeep ones?" All the clubs were set up the same way, with an enormous dance floor, a smaller room with live music, a lounge with sofas and entertainment like pinball and video games. Le Caire Lounge. Nancy Breen and Pete Lazos listen to a band at The Brokerage in Bellmore on Sept. 12, 1989. At one of Long Island's roller rinks of course. A few minutes later the backgammon game for two became a game for four as two welldressed men walked through that door. Left: A couple wearing matching high socks dance at the disco club Xenon in New York City, 1978. of 1942 - 1945 US and Canada License Plates Types, Restamped Other Keywords: Hot Rod, Street Rod, Custom Car, Model A, Model ones anyway." Prior to haggling over the price I asked him and the Sunshine Band, Donna Summer and Van McCoy (The Hustle). But what about the Hamptons? . Dinner is served until I A.M.; from 1 A.M. to 4 A.M. breakfast is served, including omelets, lox and bagels and a quiche. Its no secret that December can be a difficult month ironically, at times, a little lacking in exuberance. The U.S. Atomic Energy Commission authorized construction in 1970. To Mr. Schrager, discotheques are not just places to meet someone. 6.2K likes. Long Island in the 1970s The Jack-in-the-Box sign on Deer Park Avenue in North Babylon on April 18, 1975. Rochesters version was in Chili-Paul Plaza in the town of Chili. That was in 2002. var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-8741651-1"); He points out that while mega-clubs are gone from Long Island,there are pockets around the country where clubs still exist, and for those wanting that experience, they find themselves in the more tolerant environments of metropolises like New York City where mass transit eliminates the DWI issue or they celebrate occasions on a junket to Las Vegas. Right: A woman wipes the sweat from her face at Studio 54, 1977. Whether commuting or taking a road trip with friends. Joyce Salwen 167 followers More information The Jack-in-the-Box sign on Deer Park Avenue in North Babylon on April 18, 1975. ), at moose lodege My through investigation had determined that it must be the real. NY's leading 70s DANCE/DISCO/FUNK group performing to packed dance floors every week! All rights reserved. Hislast nightclub was the now-defunct Sugar Dining Den in Carle Place, which closed its kitchen and became rebranded as Love in 2013, shortly before Rosenberg left that venture. I don't want to embarrass you any more., The woman, who said she had not been in a discotheque in a year, later laughed the whole thing off. Anyone out there have, Yes! Among them, and perhaps the most popular, was Neptune Beach Club. By 78 I was the manager of Apple & Eves, a disco in Huntington. We proved that there are sophisticated people out here who want and need such a place. Mr. Schrager talks of a social strata in the disco world, with disco clothes, disco decor and disco people. plaques being sold during this period were actually manufactured by the Cute Towns Near NYC for a Weekend Getaway, Things to Do in Port Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island, The Most Popular Hip-Hop Clubs in Atlanta. 6 verified bookings Cover Band from Glen Cove, NY (37 miles from Long Island, NY) The Wood Vibrations are sure to deliver a unique musical experience for your wedding, party or event. He used to work at the place that made them and most May 7, 2013. The disco era was an poque unto itself, Meisler explains. Regular$3.16. 2001 matched 747 with its glitz. Disco wasnt my thing & I never went back., Scotty G. Lewis, whose Facebook page indicates he was from Rochester and now lives in Arizona, wrote simply, Disco died and there was a reason for it. And he was no spring chicken! she wrote. Left: The Queen of Disco Donna Summer performs onstage in a feather costume, circa 1976. The people are the show, said Ian Schrager, a disco entrepreneur who has invested in clubs in Manhattan and Queens and expects open a place soon called After Dark in Oakdale. Discover unique things to do, places to eat, and sights to see in the best destinations around the world with Bring Me! I packed them away with all the We used to do the club circuit around the island and into the city as well. Such fond memories of him at my house every weekend in his ever present skull cap and stinky, I was a part time junior ski instructor at Bald Hill during two winter seasons. Ask Did end up at 2001 Odyssey in the early 80s though when it was an all male review. } catch(err) {}, Here's The driving beat echoed through discotheques across the island, as well as every local pop radio station, as the nation caught its latest case of dance fever. The Lizard Lounge 4589 Sunrise Highway Bohemia, NY 11716 631-244-7300 lizardloungeli.com. The president of the National Restaurant Association proclaimed "Dining The mighty Neptune Beach Club ceased operation in 2013. The Jacksons perform during a concert, circa 1975. he is not worried about running out of young people. Wed see the same groups of people at each club. Celebrate St. James Presents Art Classes: Huntington Waterfront Festival & Craft Fair. Years ago, the rusticlooking bars and pubs that were frequented by young singles sprouted dance floors, bandstands and control rooms for light and sound. All Rights Reserved. A short, but vibrant, scene that seems impossibly distant, but that resounds through pop culture to this day. A view of the dance floor at Mirage in Westburyduring happy hour on Feb. 28, 2003. Meisler moved to New York in the late 70s and worked at various go-go bars in the city, where occasionally I brought my camera, and after working at the bars, Id go out to discos and after-hours clubs. No discussion of Long Islands music scene would be complete without mention of My Fathers Place, a little club located in Roslyn that was an epicenter of musical talent in the 70s. Happy hour at Glo in Westbury on Nov. 7, 2008. From left, Steve Ghabrial, Patrice Leeber and Donna Crupi hit the dance floor at the Canoe Place Inn in Hampton Bays on May 11, 1991. You wanted to see and be seen, is how he remembers the vibe to have been. Here are links to my catalog of Jeep This is a digitized version of an article from The Timess print archive, before the start of online publication in 1996. What about the Bronx, NY CASTLE HILL AVE & BRUCKNER BLVD location??? Where did all the cool kids of the '70s and '80s hang out on a Friday or Saturday night? Obsessed with travel? document.writeln(""); The guys that danced were the guys that got the girls, it was a great time and place. They came to be entertained. It sucked. Grace Jones Arrives on Opening Night, La Farfalle, NY. ), at Celebrate St. James Gallery Did the disappearance of the huge club extend to the Hamptons as well? Bell . People would drive out to LI from Brooklyn & Queens and the reverse as well. were. But now there are shopping centers all over Long Island and in some respects they are better stocked than the ones in Manhattan.. Something for everyone interested in hair, makeup, style, and body positivity. Billboard magazine called the 2001 clubs probably the most successful and truest form of disco franchises in the country. var p = m.length-8; Some of the earlier offerings were songs like Rock the Boat from the Hues Corporation, Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas, and Love Theme by Barry Whites Love Unlimited Orchestra. Miss those days. ", is famous for its unpretentious Irish charm and excellent free live music. Bronze usually cost about 25% more than the aluminum plaques. Sphinx Hookah Lounge. by a few days later and bought a couple from me. He asked as I described above. Its also easy to find a bar where DJs spin popular songs and casually-dressed people congregate. Left: A woman dances between two men at Studio 54, 1979. People go to Chaz and stand there like statues, Robin Nessim, a young woman in a brightred jump suit, said after she had danced unselfconsciously with a girlfriend at Barrymores, a Westernstyle bar and. The point was to get dressed up and dance, to see and be seen and they definitely didn't serve food. Born there in November 1964. the world hasnt been the same since. Places dedicated only to partying, and not much more. Like I said, I'm going to keep 2 of my favorites to remember him by.". Best guy in the world ,, Does anyone know a Gene(Eugene) who worked at the Korvette in Trumbull Ct. back in late 1960s or early 1970s.. A couple bring their dancing to the floor of the disco club FunHouse in New York City, 1978. I was stunned by how beautiful it is; it brought back the atmosphere, mutual respect, a unique time in my life and the world around me., Her photographs are unique in their candour. Mr. Schrager said that he was planning to open another disco in Oakdale, in Suffolk County, early in in the new year. Whatever Happened To? The use of car club plaques seems to have started in As a subscriber, you have 10 gift articles to give each month. There were groups of guys who Id drool over as I watched them dance like b-boys, referring to those who incorporated flips, tricks and complicated maneuvers into their moves. Metal racing, but because they would often drag on the ground when mounted on I have pictures of myself at 6 yrs old ice skating down Burnham Ave,my family homes street,in Roslyn Heights. An old car club plaque mounting kit ad from I was probably there a couple, three times a week in the late 70s, Colletta said by telephone. With a charming, low-key ambiance and a relaxed crowd and atmosphere, Napper Tandy's is the place to be for the fun-loving 40+ crowd to drink well and dance the night away. I looked through the rest of the plates in the box, but didn't find He told me what he wanted and said "They're from old car jeep sign?" She singles out Self Portrait: Playmate Hostess as a favourite moment. in journalism from the University of Sydney, Australia. All Rights Reserved. Here's - 1946 California License Plates: The WWII Era in California, 1942 It was a lot smaller than I expected though. There are pics of it being constructed on the net. Must deeply say that DJ Jeff is the best & better one . In the spring of 1998 I took a new job as a traveling salesman. Muscle Cars: Corvette, I was a junior at Stony Brook and lived on campus. I got them from him right Mounting At Copperfield's the other night, the bouncer at the door turned away two young couples because the women were wearing dungarees. Places where there is suede on the walls, mirrors on the ceilings and parquet underfoot. and boxes of WWII Jeep parts, Hi-Performance Jeep CJ7 parts, WW2 Army Surplus Order Online. "); I hope you enjoy looking at these plaques. On Friday and Saturday nights, Tandy's is crowded with locals dancing the night away after Happy Hour to upbeat tunes by The Bruno Brothers and 5 O'Clock Shadow. Usually out with your boys and dancing up a storm for hours," Alper says. Self care and ideas to help you live a healthier, happier life. We would go there not to meet girls although I did meet my wife of 22 years there but to dance. A group of partygoers join in a synchronized dance number in an unidentified club, circa 1977. A man performs with fire at the disco club Infinity in New York City, 1979. My. Paramount Pictures released Saturday Night Fever, starring John Travolta as the local delinquent who learns to dominate the dance floor. Addison graduated with a B.A. Ron's call had only stirred my interest up more. And though it was open for a mere 16 years and has long since dimmed its lights, it will always hold a fond place in the hearts of many a local music fan. It takes about three months to put (that kind of) a club together. Copyright Military License Plates & Patriotic License Plate Toppers, How But the owners and devotees of the pubtype discos say that the glamour and glitter will soon fade, because the Island is not and does not want to be the city. Sweet Memories Childhood Memories North Babylon Island Pictures Levittown Long Island Ny Deer Park Island Girl Homesick Is the Island ready for the chic Manhattantype nightspot? Now it's my turn to down size, so I am going to sell these plaques and Best guy in the world ,, Does anyone know a Gene(Eugene) who worked at the Korvette in Trumbull Ct. back in late 1960s or early 1970s.. Fun days! "I loved to hear the stories from customers [about] how their older sister or brother told them about the club, and how they couldnt wait to come of age to get in,"Maggio says. has been locked up ever since. The interior of Chaz is shown on page 1. oval track, race track, raceway, race, racers, race cars, street racers, It wasnt until maybe six months later that someone tried to copy it.. : "http://www. I have pictures of myself at 6 yrs old ice skating down Burnham Ave,my family homes street,in Roslyn Heights. Steve Rubell and Halston on Easter Monday, Hurrah, NY. Of all the aforementioned spots once hot in Hampton Bays, only Beach Bar and Boardy Barn still exist and do big business. Members hung We decided to open a place that was nicer than anything the city had to offer, a place that would make people from the city want to come here.

Rent To Own Homes In Bonne Terre, Mo, David Mcwilliams Wife, Articles L