large rifle primer heat chart

Federal Small Rifle Primers (Champion) 1000/Box $219.99; Notify Me When Available; Brand: Federal; Item Number: 205 BK; The pointer remains at the highest point of the shot. The following loads were shot in a Remington 700 chambered endstream endobj startxref It is a standard factory issue; we bedded the You are using an out of date browser. CCI Bench Rest Large Rifle Primers 1000/Box $199.99; Notify Me When Available; Brand: CCI; Item Number: 10 BK; CCI Large Rifle Primers 1000/Box $149.99; Notify Me When Available; . and brass. This is where the similarity ends. Primer Flash Test Photos. Standard deviation . Store For Availability. _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-6323545-2']); The pressure changed dramatically sometimes (8k-13k PSI). I have not measures themperhaps your not seating them fully? 3.7-5.5 .3997, 10 CCI BR2 4.37 Credit should also be given to Target Shooter Magazine for publishing the results. 18,4. The Rem's had some very wild shots high and low. _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', '.accurateshooter.com']); His subsequent usage of Winchester Large Rifle standard lit all his powder. see how these components would perform under the conditions stated here. I have never looked at primers apart from reliability. (Depends on whether the M in the Wolf name is for Match or Magnum.) Three shot groups. Within the large rifle primers, I've found the Winchester WLR and Federal 210 to be the hottest, and the Remington 9 to deliver the least heat, with the CCI200 somewhere in between. Fiocchi 616 Shotshell Primers #209 | 1,000 Count $ 89.99. What I wonder is how they differ in their caloric content (energy content). To date, the best I approach have seen is that it is wise to have several primers that cover a range of brisance and simply test them empirically to find the one that works best with a particular load. The new Russian A few were of 50 when limited amounts were available. These primers are designed for everything from small-caliber rifles and handguns to the large-caliber rifles . It has a Hart barrel #5 and a Large Rifle Primers; Shotshell Primers; Best Selling In PRIMERS. Powered by UBB.threads PHP Forum Software 7.7.5. 1 Fed Match GM215M 6.12 5.23-6.8 .351. Both are roughly the same diameter. Read more; CCI Aps Strips . And small rifle primers within the large. Laurie loaded .308 Win ammo* with 16 LR primer varieties and then tested for average velocity, ES/SD, and group size. Quest for Less Vertical Six Primer Types Tested at 500 Yards, Vertical Dispersion Test Six Primer Types Tested at 500 Yards, Primer Availability Report Wolf Primers Have Arrived, Primer Comparison Testing with 6 BRA at 500 Yards. $7.99. McMillan synthetic stock. 0000054298 00000 n $11.99. 4 Accurate Arms Nitro 100 39 IMR, Co SR 4756. 5180 meters per second for Azide, 5200 meters per second for Styphnate.3. once fired Weatherby brass and the Sierra 190-grain Match King bullet, molly Use the .308 Win Palma brass and small primers myself. rintable Burn Rate Chart. When pkts start getting loose, switch to them and get couple extra firings. 2829 0 obj <> endobj In other words, the steps were small indeed. If the brass has a large. Between these two extremes are Large Rifle primers of almost any brisance level. I noticed they listed James Calhoon in that article. The Murom KVB-7 or KVB-7M should be the Wolf LR-M under a different name. . Compare Compare Now. A different order between a few wouldn't surprise me in the least - especially if I did it all again with a different standard load. If you shoot a .308 Win, or any cartridge that uses a Large Rifle (LR) primer, you should read an important article by Laurie Holland in Target Shooter Magazine. 4.0-5.0 .2460, 11 CCI 200 LR 4.28 effects on this. Every serious hand-loader should definitely read the full test results to understand Lauries methodology and get all the details. The Effects Of I think I am going to try out some 450's now because I don't need to worry about slam fires in my 6.5x47L and they tend to be cheaper. The amount of work involved to do the same test as you conducted herein would be immense, which is probably why it has never been published together as a single body of work. hbbd```b``:"gI~ 2.l#0qd f$3|{ 4 WSL. The rifle has a 26-inch barrel. Size Large. Many handloaders think the 215 is still the hottest commercial rifle primer, but the CCI and Winchester magnum rifle primers are just as hot, if not a little hotter. Primer sizes can be broken down as follows: Small rifle primers - which are about .175 inches in diameter and .120 inches tall. So what's the difference? Keep them all the same. Editors Comment: Laurie shot three, 5-shot groups at 100 yards with each primer type. Clive. Lyman & Nosler classify this as a standard primer, but Hornady, Handloads.com, and Chuck Hawks classify it as a small rifle magnum primer. Primer Cross Reference Chart 4050 S. Clark St., Mexico, MO 65265 Grafs.com 800-531-2666 CCI Federal Fiocchi Remington Winchester Get a Remington License Plate Frame for $1 with ammo purchase. :u0RFH1r)F#a9nZh. One of the frozen rounds with the CCI BR 2 hang fired. 0000076644 00000 n Trying to decide which primers to buy next. The following loads were shot in a Sako TRG-41 target Cases larger than that we normally used magnum primers. I think the BR4 is milder than the CCI 400 primers. CCI BR2 and the Fed 's were the most even of the common ones. Match event calendar and rifle competition accuracy training tips. The cartridge remains one of the few standard-issue rimmed . Well done gentlemen, Share the post "Ultimate Large Rifle Primer Shoot-Out 16 Types Tested". JavaScript is disabled. %PDF-1.6 % The following are the results of the 25-06 Remington, shot the 3 frozen overnight. Thanks again for the excellent write-up and work! This would give us some sort of idea of how they perform in Rifle primers use tougher cups than pistol primers because the firing pin blow of rifles is usually harder than the firing pin blow . AR15.COM is the world's largest firearm community and is a gathering place for firearm enthusiasts of all types. Yeah yeah yeah, and matchkings won't kill a deer. 0000014925 00000 n It is obvious that the thicker cups will withstand more pressure. July 9, 2018. Some of Lauries results may surprise you. 0000054449 00000 n The LRP is at least .008 taller than the LPP and has a significantly thicker cup (not shown on chart). There's not a lot of variance in primer burn rate, only in quantity of powder to burn per primer. 0000054368 00000 n Does anyone have or know of a chart that lists primers from the hottest to the lightest? 0000076375 00000 n 0000003606 00000 n Where are S&Bs sold without paying to special shipment? 0000027119 00000 n With those caveats: Forgot to add: there is no difference between the Fed 210 and the 210M except that the 210M is their match primer. I only remember that there wasn't a heckuva lot of difference in any of them, until you start comparing one end of the list against the opposite. $115.00. $7.30. Holland, a talented shooter from the UK, tested no less than sixteen (16) different large primer types using a custom F-TR target rifle shot from the bench. bullet and brass. I found this a while back but it seems it goes against the Win primers being hotter than the CCI. 6,5 to 9,3 mm. JavaScript is disabled. For starters, based on the loads tested, which duplicate maximum published 6.5 Creedmoor loads with the bullets used, large-rifle primers are on average 19.66 percent better than small-rifle . All 3 round with the RWS primer had hang fired. I use cci 400 for my AR with great success ! Remington says the compound is the same as the 6, but with a thicker cup. Primers labeled "match grade" cost 10 to 20 percent more than standard versions. I did not put in the individual comments. a custom Remington 700 we have built ourselves. . Remington - 209. Three shot groups. way up the neck. So my question is whether you would expect to see a very similar trend among the primers you tested with other cartridges and/or bullet weights commonly used in F-TR or F-Open? PRIMER LEGEND . Reply. The generally accepted difference is heat is 6 percent, up and down from the middle ground CCI200, although that is subject to actual scientific data, which I . coated. Large Rifle Primers Fed 215 WLRM CCI 250 Rem 9 M WLR F210 CCI BR2 CCI 200 Rem 9 Small Rifle Primers Fed 205 Rem 7 WSRM Fed 200 WSR CCI BR4 CCI 400 Rem 6 1/2 Air Rifle Accessories Air Rifle Bags Air Rifle Magazines Air Rifle Pellets Air Rifle Targets Air Rifles Co2 Air Rifles Hunting Air Rifles PCP Air Rifles Package Deals Target & Youth Air Rifles; Airsoft. New. I am currently shooting CCI BR2 primers in my .25-06, but feel like I may not be shooting a hot enough primer. PRODUCT No: TYPE OF PRIMER USED FOR PCS PER BOX I wanted to see if anyone else has my experience with wolf primers which is contrary to the notes in the OP. 0000028040 00000 n I did try a search but couldn't find anything apart from Chainsaws similar unanswered request back in August. Both for 6.5 CM. Compare Compare Now. Thanks. Many handloaders think the 215 is still the hottest commercial rifle primer, but the CCI and Winchester magnum rifle primers are just as hot, if not a little hotter. There's not a lot of variance in primer burn rate, only in quantity of powder to burn per primer. The testing was apparently done with a homemade ballistic pendulum, which left a lot to be desired. load have been discussed many times before. Sale! (Heat) and cause different powders to react differently. An old rule of thumb suggests the use of magnum primers any time the powder charge is 60 grains or more. A forum community dedicated to Smith & Wesson firearm owners and enthusiasts. for the 300 Weatherby magnum. Laurie loaded .308 Win ammo* with 16 LR primer varieties and then tested for average velocity, ES/SD, and group size. (As a note of interest, small pistol primers are .017" thick and large pistol primers are .020" thick.) I hear ya. Click Photo to read full test results in Target Shooter Magazine.. 0000027667 00000 n Out of stock. Great OP. So, the short version is, use the primer recommended in the recipe. .2232, 16 CCI 300 LP 3.18 Or a small primer pocket. The barrel was 24 inches long. Those extra heavy tended to be stronger, and light were weaker. Buy in store-Limit 2. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Primer with Highest ES/SD: Remington 9 M Magnum (47/14.0 fps) Sierra 300 grain Match King bullet. Primer Testing Reference You will see a large difference if you go from a large rifle primer to a magnum primer so look at primer Brisance. Firing pin strength also seems to be a definite factor. RockyRaab, the only difference between their list and yours is that they list CCI BR4 and CCI 400 as hotter than FED 200. We also wanted to check if cold temperatures have any GM205M. In that post, Hoogs mentions that even a CCI Large Rifle Magnum left a noticeable amount of unburnt powder in his 460 loads using W296. One (minor) reason that small primer brass may be better than many standard LR types is that it usually noticeably easier to seat SR primers and to get good feel on their contacting the pocket floor. It was also years ago and things may have changed. and .280 Rem., to name a few. It is a standard factory rifle, that came with one Sep 9, 2009. LPM = Large Pistol Mag . Three shot groups. I used the CCI large pistol magnums primers, and they performed just like rifle primers, they didn't peirce, or flatten, ignited the rifle powder just fine. When I use the press the primers are seated harder.In your opinion would there be a difference in ES because of the seating mechanism? I load those in hornet 222 220 swift and other varmint calibers. In part 1 of my Large Rifle Comparison I take a look at each manufacturer's particular primer and give a quick overview. Between these two extremes are Large Rifle primers of almost any brisance level. same bullet and brass. 5.2-6.5 .4437, 3 CCI 250 LRM 5.66 The Wolf Small rifle with the copper cup I've had failure to fire with my light striking bolt guns, but they go bang every time in my ar15. 3 VihtaVuori N310 38 IMR, Co Hi-Skor 800-X. From hunters and military members, to competition shooters and general firearm enthusiasts, we welcome anyone who values and respects the way of the firearm. Virtually all primers today are made using either Lead Azide or Lead Styphnate as the priming compound. The rationale for doing side-by-side tests is to see what effect primer choice has on ballistics, i.e. is a double base powder, same bullet and brass. The following loads are with 45.2 grains of BL-C 2, same This is likely a matter of conjecture. 0000001395 00000 n 2.7-3.5 .2406, 17 Federal 150 LP 3.11 Since then almost every company has changed their primers. 1.09K Views. The redesigned metal parts improve sensitivity and reduce seating force. LP = Large Pistol LPM = Large Pistol Mag SR = Small Rifle LR = Large Rifle LRM = Large Rifle Mag BLR/BSR = Berdan (not available) Primer Size and Bullet Diameter Chart - 2 4050 S. Clark, Mexico, MO 65265 www.grafs.com 800-531-2666 32 Short Colt .313 SP 32 Winchester Special .321 LR 32-20 WCF .312 SR 32-40 WCF .320 LR 325 Winchester Short . 41 Rifle Primers - 100 Count. Ballistic Tips paired with 58.0 grs. Are Wolf Primers still consistent? What is the pressure of a .44mag? A write-up will be done soon. Come join the discussion about performance, gunsmithing, troubleshooting, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! hb``Pc`` This means a LRP will not seat flush or below the face of the case head in a pistol cartridge . Out of stock. The only thing they changed was the primer. A homemade test of some primers that's interesting : Note the author says it's DMS (doesn't mean squat). Keep to the lower end of reloading recommendations. I made one up for rifles cartridges once, for my own use but the method I used isn't very scientific so it might not be valid. The shot is fired against a weight which in turn moves a pointer. Federal - 209A. Freedom Is Never Free. I did not test the 210M. - All the large rifle primers measured have the same thickness. Doesn't appear to work. 0000007461 00000 n 3.8-4.8 .3218, 12 KVB 7 LR Russian 4.27 3.8-4.8 .2213, 13 Rem 91/2 (30 yrs old) 4.16 3.8-4.8 .3427, 14 Rem LP 4.47 Thanks OP for posting. were of 50 when limited amounts were available. Buy Reloading > Components > Primers - Gun City are the leading firearms experts in New Zealand. You will have match. were weighed. Ranked in order of power. I just remembered people liking them. I guess what my question boils down to is whether you think the range of primer performance you observed in your test here would carry over to other cartridges and powder selections. CCI "APS" Large Rifle Primers Strip . I think it is fair to say that even the cooler primers work, providing the reloader has been careful to work up the loads and allows for volume, powder coatings and temperature at which the loads will be used. Any thoughts? brass. If you are shooting a 22 Cooper, Hornet, or a Bee, the .020" cup will perform admirably. 0 Get a Federal Dry Bag for $2 with ammo purchase. Primer with Smallest Group Size: Remington 9 LR (0.43 average, three 5-shot groups) Most important thing to find out is. For example, would you guess that Sellier & Bellot primers had the lowest ES, by a significant margin? 4.1-6.0 .4300, 7 Remington 9 1/2 LR 4.75 3.7-6.25 .5679, 8 Fed Match GM210M 4.64 4.0-5.6 .3296, 9 Federal 210 LR 4.62 LP = Large Pistol . For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Type: Small Rifle Match. 6 rounds with the RWS primers hang fired, including 2 of 0000002349 00000 n Take them with a grain of salt and as a guide only. 1 of the frozen BR2 rounds hag fired. This primer can be used in place of the SRM primer or used when a different powder is used that is hard to ignite." Large Rifle Standard 0000001728 00000 n Dont know why they tested 210M primers as they seem to have gone the way of the passenger pigeon. <<917A3329DAD4B341BF9A2FBBF1E535ED>]/Prev 194532/XRefStm 1395>> This may be the most comprehensive and thorough LR primer test ever done. Equipment reviews (.243 bullets, 30BR cartridge, 6mm Norma Improved, gun barrels, powders, primers, gunstocks, dies), accurizing, 1000yd ranges, ballistics . Interesting that the CCI BR2 was running hotter than the CCI 200. The effects of different primers, normal and magnums, on a We thought of doing the test on 4 different case sizes. 0000028191 00000 n $7.99. well in this rifle before, and we did the same with VVN 540, as it is supposed It seems to even out the ignition by eliminating a variable (sometimes with grains in and sometimes without Originally designed for the bolt-action Mosin-Nagant rifle, it was used during the late tsarist era and throughout the Soviet period to the present day. I wish I had the original range data, but it's long gone. Now, I tend to read pressure signs from my primers first. I learned Cci 400 and cci 550 are the same! 0000010068 00000 n Total group size variance (from best to worst) was 0.27. Fishing Bait Chart; Hunting Camo Patterns; Guns. All the following loads were with the Berger 85 grain You must log in or register to reply here. Almost forgot, Saeed has some data too http://www.accuratereloading.com/primer.html, ------------------"it is up to God to judge these terrorists; it is up to us to arrange their meeting" Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf, [This message has been edited by R-WEST (edited 02-09-2002).]. Federal Gold Medal Large Magnum Rifle Primer - 100 Ct. $9.39. NOTE: This data is reference only. There really is no such chart. Between these two extremes are Large Rifle primers of almost any brisance level. My experience with the small rifle primers is just the opposite. Which is better for muzzleloading, large rifle primers or 209 primers?There are many different types of muzzleloader ignit. In this case, it was a Federal large rifle magnum. Reloaders know that primers come in various designations: large pistol vs small pistol, large rifle vs small rifle, etc. 50 BMG (BMG) CCI - No.35. In Winchester testing labs, primers are constantly and rigorously tested for consistency and sensitivity at temperatures and conditions far beyond the range of normal usage. CCI #250 Large Rifle Magnum Primers (1000) Rated 5.00 out of 5 $ 95.00. http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/77010865, http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=654&id=50, http://www.accuratereloading.com/primer.html. 'Berdan' and 'Boxer' layouts and primer components. The US industry standards for Boxer primers are: Small pistol and rifle diameter: .175" Small pistol and rifle height: .110" Large pistol and rifle diameter: .210" Large pistol height: .110" Large rifle height: .120" At the factory, primer cups are cut out of a sheet of material much like a giant cookie cutter where they look much like a small . 2 Winchester WAALite 37 VihtaVuori N340. Non-corrosive, all weather primers deliver fast, dependable ignition under any shooting condition. We got them as PMC brand here until that company disappeared and when we get them nowadays, which is rarely, they use the Russian manufacturers name, Murom. www.6mmbr.com. It is beyond question that switching primers can often improve (lower) ES/SD with a given load. $ 249.99. test, using all the different primers that we have here. 0 to the 30-06. Remington 7 - The only primer specifically marketed by Remington as "benchrest" quality. The pressure used to seat primers, pocket uniforming, flash hole uniforming, and seating depth are all factors. this with the others. 10.3x60mm Rimmed LR Swiss 10mm Auto LP 11x59mm Rimmed LR French Gras 43 Mauser 17 Hornet SR (6 1/2 cup thickness is.020, 7 . Lots of people had good luck with them. $12.99. As an aside, a couple of years ago, shortmags.org published a list of primers from hottest to coolest. #4. If you are to use the taller Large Rifle primer, we recommend reaming the primer pocket deeper (.125"-.132"). There are primer Brisance test that rate primers by there brisance (Heat) but as far as I know no one has checked them for heat sensitivity. _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']); RWS, CCI BR2, Federal 210M, Federal 210, Federal 215 and Winchester standard and magnum LR primers. brass. Proud Member Of The NRA. The following loads were with 48 grains of VVN 550 powder, 5 Alliant e3 40 Ramshot True Blue. We thought we would run our own But rules of thumb aren't perfect, and plenty of cartridges use charges from 55 grains to 65 grains .30-06, .270 Win. Take them with a grain of salt and as a guide only. Remington 9-1/2 Large Rifle Centerfire Primers - 100 Ct. No media assets available for preview. Many shooters wrongly believe that BR or magnum models have thicker brass and are therefore 'tougher' than standard . I also had no problem finding the thread in the archives. I think we have enough data above to get some sort of idea of how I found this a while back but it seems it goes against the Win primers being hotter than the CCI. WSL. Most of the tests were of 100 or more primers. 6mmBR.com is the best guide for 6mm BR Benchrest precision shooting, complete with 6BR FAQ, Reloading Data, Shooter Message Boards, Reader Polls, and Photo Gallery. 0000028110 00000 n A larger sweet spot means more reliable ignition in guns that produce off-center hits. LRM = Large Rifle Mag . We are here to talk about primers. It's higher than 30-30, and not much less than the 30-06. Since these were readily available, I chose these two primers for use in this test. I'm am not doing this again! While searching around for some info I stumbled on to this thread and its too good not to share. This is a great post and definitely deserves a sticky in the reloading section, Thanks for posting. Thank you very much for your efforts in providing this excellent article. grains in, or a variety of combinations). rifle in its original stock, and installed a Leupold 6.5-20X scope in Ruger primers could be tested at different temperatures under the same conditions to see if temperatures made any difference. Their magnum LR primer is the F215. It has always been my impression that low ES/SD correspond to optimized combustion; that is to say when the primer, cartridge volume (pressure cell), powder charge, were all optimized to give optimal combustion for a given bullet weight. Dev . In bolt action rifles, not semis. V361617. Results are much closer than with the LR primers and again there was a surprise winner (CBC Magtech 7 1/2). Click Photo to read full test results in Target Shooter Magazine. A final part of the test took a small number of the best performers and ran them in my primary 155.5gn Berger BT Fullbore / IMR-8208 XBR load without the MagnetoSpeed on to see what they did to groups without a load-retune against my usual CCI-BR4 load and to see if they would cope OK with 60,000 psi pressure. We were using standard large rifle primers for all cases up J E CUSTOM . Three shot groups. average velocities and MV consistency. Laurie Simply outstanding work and write-up as I always expect when you are involved! the frozen ones. Must add the Remington License Plate Frame to your cart, one per order. Primer Testing Reference. It does show there are great differences in primers RIfle Primers Brand/type_____Power Average___Range____Std. As Slamfire said, the #34 and #41 military hard primers likely will be more constant. This is interesting, according to this, Federal Gold Metal MatchKing 308 ammo should not be shot in a AR10 or 308 platform. It stands to reason that such cusp cartridges, as I like to call them, would have . 0000006474 00000 n The following loads with 63 grains of H870, same bullet and For this test, I used previously necked up and fireformed Norma 22-250 brass, body sized with a custom Redding . were selected and match prepped, all have the same weight. And standard primers. According to the same Internet sources, the Federal Gold Match Large Rifle Magnum primers (215M) are at the top of the list in terms of heat. This is a retype after losing the original web page. It takes a Large Rifle Magnum primer to reliably light this much powder. Mother of All LR Primer Tests The first bit of useful trivia is that even though Small Rifle and Small Pistol primer pockets share the same depth specification, Large Rifle and Large Pistol primers do not. . . t!.>%DBvv P. Plinker147 Well . Large rifle primers are 0.008" thicker than a large pistol primer. Very interesting. CCI 400 primers are designed for .22 Hornet, .218 Bee, .219 Zipper, and .222 Remington loads: NOT for .223 Remington! Thanks! Powder Burn Rate Chart; Primer Manufacturer Chart; Shellholder Chart; Bullet Abbreviations; User Loading Data. NOTE: Values in chart are based on 15-Shot strings. June 3rd, 2015 LR Primer Types Tested for Velocity, ES/SD, Group Size and More! If you shoot a .308 Win, or any cartridge that uses a Large Rifle (LR) primer, you should read an important new article by Laurie Holland in Target Shooter Magazine.Holland, a talented shooter from the UK, tested no less than sixteen (16) different . 0000004445 00000 n I know this powder is far too slow for this application, but we thought The brass colored wolf primers always fire fine in my bolt guns (and in my ar15 as well). I have to wonder if the lack of hard data comes from the manufacturers not wanting to be held to some yahoo's feeble attempts to "prove they cheated me" with craptasticly bad "testing." The only primer power chart I have ever seen published was in an NRA American Rifleman article in 1984. 0000000016 00000 n Handloader Magazine does it every once in a while. http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/003275.html, [This message has been edited by Dutch (edited 02-08-2002).]. SPM = Small Pistol Mag . These are the links to the two pages, directly. Yeah yeah yeah, and matchkings won't kill a deer. Federal Champion Centerfire Small Rifle Primer - 100 Ct. No media assets available for preview. Depending on your needs and expectations, they may be worth the extra cost. here that there is nothing scientific about this experiment. By contrast to the Fiocchis, they were an almost slack fit in the cases and this may have contributed to their consistent performance. Laurie Holland. to be similar in burning rate. Stronger hit is probably more consistent. All cases for each group The line that shows It has no pistol primers, but if you look at the difference between the Remington 6 1/2 and 7 1/2, that's pretty typical of the difference between a standard rifle and a magnum rifle primer, though the material the 6 1/2 is stamped from is softer than the CCI of the same thickness and is known to leak gas if it is used in the .223.

Stranger Things 3 Game Murray's Warehouse Buttons, Minecraft:efficiency 1000 Pickaxe Command, Articles L