barrel cooling between shots

30-40* weather, I like to wait about 3 minutes. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Waiting ten minutes between shots didn't do much for me, and really ate up my time. One shot about every 2 or 3 minutes. The barrel is cooled down completely between groups. It did outperform all the others in the quantity of air moved category . Scoring Its first few groups at 100 yards exceeded 2 inches, so all subsequent groups fired by it contained five holes in the paper. He settled on a 200 cu ft CO tank. No in-line actions or thumbhole stocks will be allowed. I usually keep a rimfire at my shooting station, too, for those "too close" shots, or just to practice form and trigger control at the range. STRICTLY ENFORCED, there will be no sales of alcoholic beverages permitted on Tennessee State property! In Houston, ambient temp. If this is your first visit, be sure to We will not turn this thread into a thermodynamics argument like the other forum does. If you shoot multiple times without running a cleaning patch in the barrel you will feel it gets harder to load the next ball. It seems to me that you should shoot in your normal conditions (hot, hot, hot!) Planning on heading to the range in the morning and I'll try to get a little cool time data while I'm at it. Will 115 degree air remove as much heat as 32 degree air? In the spirit of sportsmanship, these should be as small as possible not to take up excess space on the line. The universal Original Barrel Cooler fits the bill perfectly for a hot barrel, since it cools the barrel from the inside-out and can reduce your wait time between shots up to 60%. So, if you pitch .50 BMG, you have a fan thats up to the job. The cooler the ambient temperature the faster I can shoot and the quicker the resting rifles cool off. I have probably taken more of my North American game with rifles resting atop a daypack, so I make it a point to shoot a hunting rifle over one before heading for the woods. I keep a Thermos of ice water, a six ounce squirt bottle, bore guide, cleaning rod and patches handy. I friend of mine, who was a sniper in the military, said that when they would sight their guns in, they would typically wait almost 20 minutes between shots to ensure a "cold bore" shot as that is what they will be shooting with in the field. Do you just run it for a certain time, or is there a more specific method? We do not need to actually check temperature changes because of this. This raises the question: How do you cool a barrel quickly enough so that you arent costing yourself money and trigger time? Not only do those shooting in hot and humid states have to deal with the hot sun, the ambient temperature alone can keep a barrel from cooling down properly between rounds. Remember Tip #1 Consistency. of ice water down the bore using the bore guide, then run three dry patches down the barrel. I wait about 5 seconds between shots. What is the purpose of the round being developed. BarrelCool | Shooting accessories for accuracy, reloading, and hunting. In the summer with ambient temps of 75 or higher, I would typically wait 5-7 minutes. Unless you shot an iron hot enough to fry eggs, the BarrelCool can get it back down to an operational temperature within 10 minutes. This has worked good for me, it could all be in my head but thats what I do. This same friction effects how the ball leaves the barrel when shot. It's a small water pump that creates a mist, and if you fill it with ice water it will work miracles. There will not be an over 72 bench match on this day. This one should be a pretty simple test but feel free to ask any questions. Id say daylight becomes a factor at that point. CAMPING Shaped and colored to match an NRA-certified empty chamber flag, it works away when there's a cease-fire. On the exterior it has proven to be no issue. For instance, the .308 barrel that normally gives 4000 accurate rounds should now easily provide 5500 accurate rounds. What gives? Keep me cool also. I tried using my portable air tank and it didn't help much if at all. Who knew wild turkey's were so stupid!? Shot 3, 5 shot groups, letting the barrel cool between groups. BarrelCool Given that a hot barrel eats away at accuracy, Barrel Cool's device is a perfect addition to a range bag. Only six extra points possible for fire-starting. There is no limit as to weight or caliber. Don't get the barrel much if any below ambient temperature. Keep your barrel cool, and your shots on target. My question concerns the proper technique to use between shots. It might take 2 minutes or it might take 20. Only one person may shoot a rifle in each relay. The adjustment screws will be covered with either wax or tape. Fear not there is plenty of camping on high grounds. Shooting in AZ in the summer gives me a unique perspective on barrel cooling. I prefer it now. Oh PS to your question I stick to 30 seconds with full grip on the barrel. Joseph Von Benedikt visits with Aaron Oelger from Hodgdon about the unprecedented demand on the shooting supply industry. Review post# 17 above. Needless to say, they didnt have a tub of water at handusually only a full bladderas if the corrosive percussion caps and primers of the day werent hard enough on a gun. I have a hard time fitting some of the rechargeable AA's I have in there, and sometimes they don't seat 100%. more of the little fans that you put in the action to blow ambient air through the barrel "cooling" it off faster could be wrong though . Barrel throats erode faster in a hot barrel; a little cooling off period between shots is generally a good idea. We do not desire to have the barrel material holding the heat. Steve. If the temps outside are too warm, I wait for another time, Eventually I plan on a carbon fiber barrel and Ill probably give it extra time just for peace of mind. Thank You. Always use the same amount and type of cleaning solution to stay consistent. Come join the discussion about optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! Using the TMS bullets as prescribed should extend the life of a barrel by at least one third. Make sure to watch till the end. Flip the barrels to the side and cut the top according to . PCCA After each cooling the bore is wiped dry by pushing through three cotton patches. You'll be able to shoot dozens of shots 2 or 3 per minute or faster and they'll cluster evenly about point of aim. The shot at the top center is after I adjusted the sight with a cool barrel. This was built by a pretty prominent pistolsmith I know. The article originally appeared in the June 2019 issue of Gun Digest the Magazine. When in a match there is no time to wait and cool your barrel so why do it when group testing. I'm in the same boat as you shooting usually just west of Mexicali/Calexico on the CA/Mexico border. Shooting .30-06 when it was around 90 or higher, I found my sporter barrel was hot after one shot. A Hoppe 's Bore Snake was deployed every 50 shots. I just wait a few minutes. Available in different sizes and red dot ready, it'll fit your needs, whatever they are. General. Using water seems to be to much trouble unless your a dead ass serious target shooter. I don't agree with cooling the barrel on carbons or larger profile barrels for accuracy purposes. I believe you can never go wrong with 1 minute. A chamber flag with an integrated fan to cool your barrel. In either case, this is definitely not good; and God help you if youre working up a load. People worry way too much about barrel cooling. Varmint rifles and rifles used for competitive shooting are tested with five-shot groups. I've gone as long as 15 though. Wouldn't a cool barrel make every shot close to being a cold bore shot? The 30th Sgt. Yup; you let your rifle sit for a spell until it dissipated enough heat. The CO2 tank idea is compelling. One thing I've noticed though is the battery compartment is a little finicky. Member List; Calendar; Forum; Gunsmithing; If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. Barrel whip is what most of us know it by. Cools pretty quick that way. Chamber Chiller - BETA-60 AA Chamber Chiller Version 3 2019, The Original Gun Barrel Cooler | Area 1 Sports, Rifle Barrel Cooler Performance Flow Test and Comparison. Federal has created a safer, easier and more reliable way to shoot a muzzleloader. If youre absolutely against taking the original barrel cooler and the hose your next best option is the chamber chiller. Cost: $15 assessed on your 2023 dues if missed. Size, weight, and battery size and life mean something to me for my needs. If the pump was supported above a pool of ice water in a cooler it would work even better if it was hot outside. In a hunting rifle I shoot 3 in a row looking for first shot and follow up shot consistency. Get 12 Issues a year of the country's best firearms writing. And its rechargeable. Furthermore, its shaped and colored like an NRA-certified empty chamber indicator, so its ready to pull double duty. The first condition occurs when several shots are fired very quickly -- little heat can move from the barrel into the receiver. Carbon barrels do have less specific heat capacity but they have a much higher thermal diffusivity. I have a couple of front rests and several styles of sandbags for them as well. The pump is small so it doesnt take up much room in my shooting bag. After shooting a black powder gun there is some burned powder residue inside the barrel. No? The sausage-shaped bag measures 4 inches in diameter by 8 inches long, is filled with lead shot, and weighs 25 pounds. you heat the barrel up to those temperatures, I don't think anything good is going to come out of the experience. Every serious rifleman has his own procedure for accuracy-testing rifles. I'll look into getting a 2nd device. Definitely got my wheels turning as I've never used any kind of barrel cooler or cooling method other than time between shots. Because this rifle takes longer to heat up and is inherently stiffer to begin with, whip and mirage are less of a concern. Also, cleaning your rifle between each shot allows for your barrel to cool down. It all depends on environmental conditions. Thank you in advance, smoker Nice run down of some of the options out there. If you don't like this method then don't do it. The Remington 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader, based on my test rifle, works well with essentially the same bullet and sabot combinations as discovered with the prior testing with the now-discontinued Savage 10ML-II. UPS has officially stopped shipping guns? They must have a "U," "V," or rectangular opening, as wide at the top as any part of the notch. Savage Model 110 Timberline 6.5 Creedmoor Rifle: Full Review, 6.8 Western Ammo Options: The Load of Long Yardage, Franchi Momentum Elite Bolt-Action Rifle in Varmint Configurations, 5 Best Long-Range Hunting Bullets Available Right Now, Savage Impulse Straight-Pull Rifle: Full Review, The .284 Winchester Cartridge: Still A Long-Range Champ, A World Record Attempt: Practice Round and Media Day, Interview with Israeli Defense Forces, Part 1. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. YOU ARE INVITED Sometimes described as wind indicators, an entire article could be written on their design and use, but I can touch only on the high points here. My buddy uses ice water on a towel between strings . It remains the same regardless of whether the testing is done for my own information or for publication in an article. Tip #5 Removing Oil from Inside Nipple, Drum and Barrel Before Shooting. Determine when your barrel is getting too hot with these barrel temperature strips. I have also taken game from the sitting position with my arm wrapped around a rifle sling in the "hasty" position. Note the difference. So Im guessing about 12 seconds between shots lol. I know it would be good for patterning cold bore shots, and for cooing down between series of fire to keep velocities in check. I wanted to add some additional numbers that I think are important. I have seen benchrest shooters at the range using air mattress pumps to blow cooling air through their barrels between shots. It is best to accuracy-test a rifle during ideal range conditions with no wind, but since Mother Nature seldom cooperates where I shoot, wind flags are used. It may not display this or other websites correctly. I have a pretty new 700 BDL chambered in 270 that will shoot fantastic sub-MOA groups for the first 3 or 4 rounds, then the group opens up slightly, but is still sub-MOA. Thanks for the information guys wanted to check and see if what I have been doing is right. As I said, it varies. Like most shooters, I have my own procedure for checking the accuracy of rifles. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. If the shape of the cheekrest on a stock interferes with the taller ears of a rabbit-ear bag, an owl-ear bag is used. Don't let the shooting get in the way of having fun. Cooling the barrel between shot strings. Light? Conveniently, these chillers can run off both batteries and a USB cable, ensuring you always have a power source at your disposal. Cooling rate is continuous rather than the "shock" of a cold, wet, towel. My question isn't about accuracy-as much as it is about tube life. We show you how. People worry way too much about barrel cooling. I have used cold wet rags on my varmint rigs with good results. Lay a wet/damp towel on the barrel. RIFLES Back when I was into 3 Gun competition, some stages required emptying several AR-15 magazines. But do you know how to properly use them? On my Mausers with medium-weight sporter barrels, that's somewhere around 5-8 shots, fired over a span of 2-3 minutes. . This page was generated at 08:23 AM. After shooting a black powder gun there is some burned powder residue inside the barrel. Learn how your comment data is processed. Although hearing and vision protection are strongly encouraged, the use of these items will be determined by the individual contestant in a junior contestant event. Adjustable rear open sights will be permitted. It don't think it would hurt if I don't keep a steady blast, besides a tank doesn't hold a lot of air. I used the mattress pump w/ 1 foot of surgical tubing and it worked on a 338BAR I was doing load testing for before elk season once. Through the years benchrest shooter Rick Graham has made hundreds of wind flags for his fellow competitors. Decided to try some 5 shot groups rather than the 3 shot ones I have been posting. If the barrel is warm, no condensation in the barrel, as the air will heat up and the RH will go down. Please follow the button below to be taken to their site for purchase. Treason doth never prosper, what is the reason? If you're using a cant block affixed to your rifle, it should be able to move freely on top of the chunk. In contrast to that Model 700 is a recently tested 1940s-vintage Winchester 94 in .32 Special. ** No shaders, diopters, or practice shots allowed ** During the 1950s, National Rifle Association personnel often fired three-shot groups and allowed the barrel to cool down one minute between each shot. Stony Hill, Missouri, https://facebook.com/events/s/stony-hill-meat-match/646990470567492/, Whats Behind the Name J.P. I do think some of our members would be interested in your CO2 idea especially in hotter climates. Patched round ball only. Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion: Load Development - barrel cooling Since everyone uses a bore guide, one fellow simply used a small bilge pump and a plastic hose, hose into the back of the bore guide, and let it flow until his next relay. T0rtuga Premium Member Please note!!! I typically just sight in like normal. I still like the Riflekuhl even though it may take double or more time. You have not found your best load yet. If I want to shoot a lot of rounds quickly I usually shoot 10 then squirt about 6 oz. I tried all kinds of things. I try pick good days to shoot,but range is 25 miles aweay so it is what it is when i get there. It depends on what you are looking for. I am thinking about taking my portable air tank with me the next time. Know thy gun. 04-25-2009, 09:25 AM #22. First, relay shooters shall remove their equipment from the loading area immediately after the 10th target is fired. Particularly nowadays. But I find it more convenient to just shoot several rifles at a time. Squeeze the trigger 10, maybe 20, times uninterrupted, and your barrel heats up enough so that its harmonics go out of whack. For cold bore accuracy testing, I can wait 3hrs between shots. I am only cooling to try to protect the throat for longevity reasons. The black matte barrel on my rifle was warm from the sun before I ever startesd shooting, and was hot enough to make a mirage in the scope after the first 3 shots. I do not get scientific about it. Due to excellent match loadings of the .308 Winchester from Black Hills and Federal, I love it when a rifle to be tested is chambered for that cartridge. Also, they would sight there guns in down south where the ambient temp. Many of our members bring items for sale. Arguably the most efficient method of cooling a hot gun barrel is to use a barrel cooler that uses air. Thanks for putting this together. Custom Mossberg 500 at the Range and Live Turkey!. I'll actually be in unit 13 helping my niece on the late . #2. A different view of my backyard garden railway.The train starts with a 55-gallon HDPE barrel, 1-inch 11 gauge square tube, 5/8-inch cold rolled round steel stock, 1 5/16-inch flat bar, and 10-inch Harbor Freight wagon wheels. Please consider this when choosing clothing for the event and shooting accouterments such as shooting boxes and loading tables. I also go 10 minutes for cold bore shots. Ever wonder what your barrel temperature is? That protocol has since changed to five-shot groups with no barrel cooling between shots. It may not display this or other websites correctly. . Most of the groups i shoot are five rounds. Free floated barrels avoid these effects. Im not sure what youre asking? I will try to check some temperature changes just to get a feel for how effective the best one actually is. All Rights Reserved. For liability reasons, no shooting activities will be permitted until the contest's time on Saturday morning. Water is poured into the funnel slowly to avoid overflow back around the cartridge case. JavaScript is disabled. Ryan, how do you know when the throat is cooled enough? Eye and ear protection are required. A required safety meeting held at 7:30 AM Central Standard Time for ALL CONTESTANTS Before the first relay. 60 Yard range It has a huge fan, so it pulls in a good deal of air. March 5, 202310:00 am - 11:00 am A longer sight radius may help you pick . Cooling Barrel between shots. A World Record Attempt and everyone is out at the range shooting and practicing. For instance, if you use a sandbag, it should move freely on top of the chunk. You must log in or register to reply here. No but the design doesnt make any sense at all were trying to cool the throat. I don't think you need to worry about the condensation, as the tube is much hotter than the ambient air temp, not to mention water[that from the condensation, not adding water], even very small amounts, it one of natures best 'coolers'. One fouling shot is then fired, followed by shots for record. But if you're planning on hunting in thick shrubbery or woodlands with your rifle, an 18-inch barrel should be enough. Lighter profile barrels need to cool because the heat can and usually does effect accuracy. Maybe Im the odd one but when shooting groups I want to know what the barrel is doing from cold to hot and without breaking my position. There I use a small electric blower or CO2 to cool barrels down if needed between strings. Problem with that is then you need to buy D cells, and potentially a charger which evens out the cost. Get your fire tube fired up, and a distant target is about as clear as the back of a cataract. You DO get a few questions from the other shooters, but most seem to think its a good idea. Water down the barrel is a PITA. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Ideally, you'll be out at the range when temperatures are fairly close to the average when you are hunting. Tree lines border both sides of the private shooting range I use, and while the trees do a fairly good job of reducing wind velocity, their foliage is not dense enough to block the wind entirely. No clue on effects. Save my name and email to use for future comments. To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine. I just remov bolt let it sit 10min after every 5shot.. ive seen so much guys making it more complicated. MAYBE pushing air through the bore has SOME merit but that's about it. The forearms of riflestocks vary considerably in shape and width, so a front bag matching a particular stock as closely as possible encourages consistency of hold and discourages canting of the rifle. I do this because factory technicians are quite good at developing loads capable of delivering levels of accuracy ranging from acceptable to excellent whenfired in a large number of mass-produced rifles from various manufacturers. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Wait a few minutes between shots if you want but I wouldn't shoot or pour anything down the bore. And around here, that means its not worth the effort except in July. While it should not be done with a gas-operated rifle, running water through the barrel is better because the cooling is more uniform from end to end. Lunchbox27 Professional whisky drinker. Shot one (presuming a fouled bore) hits the same place as shot 10. Muzzleloader Forums. Double the airflow would be nice though, 4x even better. I'm not sure it really cooled back down until it was in the air conditioned car. That protocol has since changed to five-shot groups with no barrel cooling between shots. After you are zero'd wait to when the bbl cools to what it felt like after the first cold bbl shot you should be good to go. As expected from MagnetoSpeed, the RifleKuhl is engineered to the hilt. The rifle is supported at the rear by either of two types of leather sandbags. This process will take you a while because you're cleaning your rifle between each shot. Each physically challenged contestant will be required to use a board runner to hang their scoring target. Before there were scopes or red dots there were iron sights. How many shots between cleanings for a ML? Get the 76th edition of the World's Greatest Gun Book. 3. I always seem to have a flyer or 2 in every group. No more high point that causes barrels to bend it its axis as they and receivers heat up. Is this mainly for large calibers? A friend of mine owns an ammunition manufacturing company. I have done the wait xx min between shots and see ZERO differance..those are minutes of my life that I will never get back. When you set up your camp, please allow a minimum of 70 feet clearance behind the loading area for emergency services access. I actually have two one with a .223 case for bores up to .35 caliber and another with a .308 case for larger calibers. I have one of the "Original Barrel Coolers" - I guess I got lucky picking that one. I do this at my range when I want to test a lot of loads in a short period of time. That's from a warmed up barrel, for hot group shooting. http://barrelcool.com/product/barrel-temperature-strips/#:~:text=Outside%20barrel%20temperature%20can%20be,life%2C%20and%20shoot%20smaller%20groups. The magneto speed was at the bottom of performance. If it's around 50-60F and I have the rifle in the shade, I find 5 minutes will easily do it. I use a Coleman rechargeable mattress pump and flex tubing$25. Then the barrel tenon shoulder will bear tight all the way around. For if it prosper, none dare call it treason. Range rules for the Sergeant Alvin C. York Memorial shoot Pall Mall Tennessee Running water through a hot barrel cools it instantly with no damage. Place the rifle in a rest so that the muzzle is slightly downward, stick the nozzle into the. Might give it a try next range session definitely hot enough around here. Tip #2 - Clean Bore Between Shots. Sharing in the Tradition of the Long Rifle in Pacific, Missouri. Well done "J2shooter" Nicely managed, but which barrel cooler are you actually testing there please? I saw photos of a prairie dog rig on a bolt action rifle that was water cooledwater jacket around a stainless barrel with tubing going to and from a water can and a recirculating pump (low voltage) to keep everything at a fairly constant temperature. It is also the only way to water-cool a rifle with a wooden stock. If you are shooting a PRS or Silhouette competition rifle then shoot at least 5 shots right in a row to check grouping. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. Thanks Paul D doghouse95 Joined Aug 30, 2001 Messages 2,307 Reaction score 0 Apr 5, 2003 #2 4. JavaScript is disabled. If I let the rifle cool, the very tight grouping doesn't come back until I clean and dry patch the bore, then I can clover leaf 3-4 rounds again. One of the two Rick Graham flags I am now using has a larger vane than the other. I started by going up and down with short strokes like I was cleaning the gun. It gets hot down here to. Please note: Creedmore Sports is now the exclusive distributor for Barrelcool. Barrels are meant to be shot. It also is subject to being changed from time to time. Pictures. I hate sitting around when I could be shooting. MSRP: $47.99 www.caldwellshooting.com. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The higher the energy density of the fuel, the more energy may be stored or transported for the same amount of volume. The first shot out of the cooled barrel is almost always in the group in a production barrel and always in the group with a custom barrel. Hadn't thought of mirage. Jokes aside, I like the Magneto speed barrel cooler we know it works and fits in a shirt pocket, and I am still on the first set of Batteries. Another shoots five-shot groups and gives the barrel five minutes to cool between shots. Tip #7 Pouring the Powder into the Barrel, Tip #9 Black Powder Sizes 1F, 2F, 3F, 4F. I often shoot at 300 yards, and its size makes it easy to observe at distance. SAFETY FIRST! Don't worry about cooling the barrels. 1,040. He cleaned his barrel before the water flow, so it was just a drying action. He custom loads. A lengthened sight radius will help you shoot more accurately, but while the difference between a 22- and 30-inch barrel is quite pronounced and significantly affects your ability to hit a moving target, the difference between 26- and 28-inch barrels, and 28- and 30-inch barrels, is far less noticeable. Those were the days when most ranges didnt have an hourly rate akin to electricians, dentists and ladies-of-the-night. Get the latest news and reviews from Gundigest.com. I dont see the point of even bringing it if its not going to serve its only function which is cooling a barrel the barrel cool and the riflekuhl hardly move any air so theyre not gonna do anything relatively speaking for cooling a barrel. Rfurman24 did a thorough comparison of several, including the Coleman mattress pump. You are using an out of date browser. The sissy bag is too thick to place between the shooter's shoulder and the butt of a riflestock, so it is positioned on its side. Ordering a custom barrel, what do I need to know? Three other leather bags are used at the bench. a handle. Not the fastest, but made a big difference when used between stages and while waiting for our squad to shoot. Waco, Missouri, https://facebook.com/events/s/spring-family-rendezvous/1460410837698017/, March 17, 20239:00 am - March 18, 202312:00 pm I agree. Over the next few months I will be comparing a few of the barrel coolers on the market. Or would the throat on my creedmoor benefit from this? Also for comfort, I rest my right elbow on a flat sandbag called a pillow bag. No matter how large or small your part, this tremendous volunteer force comes through year after year. If I can't stand to touch the barrel for 10 sec its too hot. Nov 1, 2022 10:21:00 GMT -5 bob said: Greg, if you're able to take most of your guns to the range at one time, you either have a big truck or you need more guns. Savage/Smokeless Muzzleloading. Each year, many shooters honorably donate prizes, adding a wonderful camaraderie atmosphere. It is about as steady as can be. cal or less). There should be nothing that would confine the rifle "in place" on top of the chunk. I set up a timer on my cell phone between shots. Please treat them with respect as they will treat you with respect. In a more leisurely era, the cure to a hot barrel was time. The barrel is immediately cooled down with absolutely no harm to it. All Shooting Times subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. P, March 26, 202312:30 pm - 1:30 pm I usually let the barrel cool between shots. while opinions vary all over the place on this subject, I always shoot at least two or three shots fairly close together, if I am testing a hunting rifle. Dont forget: Always sign in on the sheet provided. LOAD INFO - TGinPA Board. This can be tricky, so some shooters choose to use a dry patch so they dont have to worry about how damp the patch is each time.

Is Emerson Brooks Related To Dwayne Johnson, Red Star Wine Yeast Alcohol Tolerance, Articles B